SIMPLE + QUICK BOLOGNESE SAUCE
I’m back this month with another simple and easy recipe I know you’ll love, it’s one of our favorites in our home. Last month, I shared my peanut butter chocolate chip cookies – an absolute must for your arsenal! Today, I’m sharing a simple and quick bolognese sauce that I know will become a favorite in your home too.
This recipe is adapted from Giada de Laurentis’ bolognese sauce from her Everyday Italian cookbook – it’s such a great cookbook, with so many simple and delicious meals.
I discovered this recipe when I bought her book years ago and I’ve tweaked it here and there to make it my own. I hope you love this quick bolognese sauce as much as we do!
Affiliate links are provided throughout this post – see my full disclosure policy here.
My friend Marty, from A Stroll Thru Life is hosting our recipe hop, you’ll find Marty’s recipe along with everyone else’s at the bottom of my post.
I’ve been cooking this dish for a long time and I often swap out certain ingredients based on what is in our fridge or pantry.
Never be afraid to improvise! I love to try new things and I don’t always have what a recipe calls for.
Grab some of the below tips – you’ll find them very useful!
FABULOUS TIPS FOR QUICK BOLOGNESE SAUCE!
- I always add red wine to this dish, it adds depth and flavor – I always have a bottle in the fridge for cooking. I love to add it to all kinds of tomato based sauces.
- Leftover bacon grease is fabulous for cooking, and it’s great added to this recipe. Again, it adds depth, and flavor. I confess, I recently learned this tip from my siblings!
- Traditional bolognese uses milk, but this recipe (like Giada’s) uses parmesan cheese instead. I also love to throw in a piece of the cheese rind as it simmers as well, for more falvor.
- You can definitely use dried herbs and spices for this recipe, I do it all the time when I don’t have access to fresh ones.
- If you’re a meat lover like we are around here, a fabulous tip is to use the ‘Holy Trinity’ of meats – a beef, pork and veal combo – the flavor just cannot be beat.
- If you love pasta but are skipping the carbs, this is excellent served over steamed veggies too – we eat it all the time!
HOW TO MAKE THIS QUICK + DELICIOUS BOLOGNESE SAUCE
Scroll further down for the full recipe!
1.Heat the oil over medium heat.
2.Add the chopped onion and garlic, cook until the onions are translucent, for about five minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
3.Add the chopped carrot and celery and continue to sauté for about five more minutes.
4.Add the bacon grease if you’d like (this is totally optional).
5.Add the ground beef, breaking it up as you cook it, making sure to cook until it’s brown.
6.Once the beef is ready, add the crushed tomatoes, wine and herbs and spices (I used a combo of dried and fresh Italian parsley).
7.Combine well and simmer for about thirty minutes for a quick sauce, or longer if you like it thicker and richer.
8.Add the parmesan cheese, combine and simmer for another fifteen minutes. This also thickens the sauce.
9.Serve over your favorite pasta or steamed veggies if you follow a low-carb diet.
That’s it. Such a simple meal to make, and I love to freeze the leftovers for another meal.
You can find the full recipe, which you can also print out, just down below.
Simple Bolognese Sauce
A quick and easy take on an Italian classic!
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil I prefer extra virgin
- 1 medium Onion, diced I love to use red onions
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced I like to use a garlic press
- 1 medium Carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk Celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. Bacon Grease Optional - I love to add it for added flavor!
- 1 lb. Medium Ground Beef For a richer flavor, use a combo of beef, pork and veal
- 1 28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Red Wine
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Parsley You can also use 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley, or a little of both!
- 1 tbsp. Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp. Salt Or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. Fresh Cracked Pepper Or to taste
- 1/2 cup Freshley Grated Parmensan Cheese
Heat oil over medium heat
Add the onion and garlic, cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes
Add the carrot and celery, cook about 5 minutes
Add bacon fat, if desired
Add ground beef, cook until brown, breaking it up as you cook it
Add tomatoes, wine and spices, combine all together
Let simmer for about 30 minutes - or longer for a thicker, richer sauce
Add the parmesan cheese, simmer for another 15 minutes
Serve over your favorite pasta, or just veggies for a Keto diet, top with more freshley grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Don’t miss this month’s amazing recipe roundup below – so many delicious meals and desserts to try!
Click on any of my friend’s links to head to their sites and grab the recipe. Enjoy, my friends, and Buon Appetito! xo
CitirineLiving – A quick and easy take on an Italian classic!
Decor To Adore – Need an easy family night meal that your family will rave about.
11 Magnolia Lane – This Budget Friendly dish will fast become a favorite – serve it to impress your guests.
Grace In My Space – She shares 3 ways to cook this universally favorite dish. Pick your favorite and make it tonight.
It All Started With Paint – Make a little or a lot, you will definitely want this on hand at all times.
3 Ingredient Strawberry Cookies
Worthing Court – These are super easy, so good and Weight Watcher Friendly.
Cheesy Vegetable & Ham Casserole
Clean & Scentisible – This Cheesy goodness will have your family asking for more.
Our Southern Home – This isn’t just a plain ole’ Grilled Cheese, this one will garner rave reviews.
113 Calorie Broccoli, Potato, Leek Soup
A Stroll Thru Life – This is so good and you think you’re dieting.
Marty it is so delish, you’ll love it! I love to swap ingredients, I don’t always have what I need!!
It is so simple to make and so rich in flavor, I think they’ll love it for sure!
It is so yummy and so easy! You’ll use this often!!
Thank you Jenn – it is delish, you will love it!!
This sounds so flavorful!! Can’t wait to try it.
Oh wow, this looks amazing! My mouth is watering just looking at it! Can’t wait to try it out!
I cannot wait to try this recipe. It will be one that my family will love I’m sure. Pinned!
This really sounds amazing and something I know my family would love. Great tips for swapping out different ingredients, this way I can use whatever I have on hand.