Let me start by saying that last week, I spoke a little too soon. While I thought we were making great progress and sailing along smoothly, Week Five has proven otherwise. It’s also proven to be expensive. We hit a few road bumps along the way, but for the most part, I think we’re back on track…and a little more over budget that we had planned for. Even though this week has been a trying one, it’s been an exciting one too, because now I can really see the end of our master bathroom makeover. Let’s jump right to it and see what’s going down over here…
If you haven’t seen our progress as of yet, you can check it all out here :
*Affiliate links are provided throughout, or at the bottom of this post for your shopping convenience – see my full disclosure policy here.
We started with the custom mirrors that we ordered. Remember last week I mentioned they’d be game changing in here? Well they were! Not in the way I had imagined though. Long story short, the wall they’re mounted on is warped. VERY warped. Installing them was a tricky process, because we didn’t want the mirror to be warped too.
To start, we placed a temporary molding underneath the mirror to ensure the it would go up level. We applied silicone for mirrors on the backsides and had to be very careful not to press too hard where the wall dipped, to avoid warping. To hold it in place while the silicone dried, we used clear plastic mirror clips at the top, and screwed them to the wall. Next, we reinstalled the wall sconces. so happy to have light again in here!
Ok – so here is where I had to make a compromise in the design. We had planned all along, to trim the mirrors with the same molding that we used to create the panelling. Unfortunately, that wasn’t a possibility, due to the wall situation. The molding was too shallow for the 5mm depth of the glass, and would have been impossible to install it flush with a nice, clean finish.
I had to choose a molding that was thicker than the original and covered the mirror. Not too many options fit the bill, so I had to go with something less refined than I wanted. I really had my heart set on an elegant look with the same trim work as the rest of the room. Challenging is a little bit of an understatement when describing getting the moldings to fit. Because of all of that warping business, the corners ended up with gaps. Big beautiful gaps.
Nothing that filling and painting can’t fix. We’re still working on filling the gaps – it’s a multiple step process. Fill…let dry…sand…repeat…until it’s even and smooth. Then touch up the paint when it’s ready.Even though it’s not exactly what I had envisioned, I do still like the way it looks. Like, not quite love, but sometimes we need to accept things that can’t work out the way we want.
The overall look is still elegant and we feel like we’re in a chic upscale European hotel. Not the worst thing in the world, even if we had to settle on the design. We had also planned to have molding above the mirrors, but soon realized the mirrors had to be taller than the original design plan, since the lights have so much height. Always measure twice, or even three times before ordering anything custom – that would have been a very expensive mistake had we not caught it! I’m still loving our lighting details too, and mounted on the mirrors, they are gorgeous. The ceiling light is the perfect compliment for the sconces too.Sneak peek of our roman blind – this custom piece is a beauty :)Now let’s talk about the shower challenges. No, I’m not going for a two-toned look haha. The ‘brass wall elbow’ piece that allows the water to flow through did not come with our shower kit, so I had to purchase one separately that would match both in color and style. Hopefully that will arrive in time for the reveal in two weeks.
Then, after taking off the handle that turns the shower on, we realized quickly that we couldn’t change it ourselves. The entire valve needed to be changed as well, and I bet you can guess what comes next…this lovely mess that needed to be handled by a pro.You guessed right, this is the other side of the shower wall – in our living room. The only way to access the valve was through here, and we had to have a plumber tackle this part for us. A somewhat pricey detail we didn’t account for.All that wood had to be cut away also – which wasn’t even supposed to be there to begin with. Thankfully, our plumber was quick and efficient and now we have our beautiful new handle installed.
I’m excited to get this space finished with accessories to complete the look! Next week I’ll be sharing some of those details before the big reveal!
Another thank yo must go out to my latest sponsor, Kristen Tirney, a fabulously talented artist who reached out to me to send me some of her original artwork for our bathroom. I was planning on creating our artwork myself, but as soon I saw her work, I knew I had to have it. To see Kristen’s work, you can visit her Instagram page here. I’m also ordering some of her hand painted Christmas ornaments and I can’t wait to have those too. Below are the pieces that should be arriving soon – they will be stunning! Navy and gold, two of my favorite colors, are the perfect compliment in our space. Not to mention the contemporary edge they’ll bring. YOU CAN SHOP ANY OF MY BATHROOM SELECTIONS BY CLICKING THE THUMBNAILS BELOW :
To shop my roman blind fabric, click here
Also, in case you missed it up at the top, you can see all of our progress right here :
If you haven’t had a chance to see the featured designers as well as the guest participants, you can visit them here and here – there are so many bloggers taking part in this, make sure you visit some to see what’s happening! A very big thank you to Linda of Calling it Home for hosting the One Room Challenge! So much exciting stuff! I hope you’re loving our master bathroom makeover progress as much as we are! Let me know what you think below, I love to hear from you! See you next time in Week Six! xox